[Python-ideas] Give regex operations more sugar

Michel Desmoulin desmoulinmichel at gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 16:43:43 EDT 2018

Le 13/06/2018 à 19:11, Mike Miller a écrit :

> On 2018-06-13 06:33, Michel Desmoulin wrote:
>>
>> I often wished for findall and sub to be string methods, so +1 on that.
>>

> Agreed, and there are a few string functions that could be extended (to
> take a sequence) to handle more cases that push folks to regex, perhaps
> earlier than they should.

str.replace come to mind. It's a annoying to have to chain it 5 times
while we could pass optionally a tuple.

several startswith() and endswith() require a loop, but we could make
them accept *args.

Also, we do have to saturate the str namespace with all the re
functions. We could decide to go for `str.re.stuff`.