[Python-ideas] Allow filtered dir built in

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Thu Jun 14 08:33:50 EDT 2018

On Thu, Jun 14, 2018 at 09:27:05AM +0000, Steve Barnes wrote:

[...]
> What I would like to suggest is extending the dir built-in to allow an
> optional filter parameter that takes fnmatch type wild card as an
> optional filter. Then I could use:
>
>  >>> dir(mpmath, "*sin*")
>
> To narrow down the candidates.

I have exactly that in my Python startup file. It monkey-patches the
builtin dir with a custom wrapper function that has signature:

    edir( [object, [glob='',]] *, meta=False, dunder=True, private=True)

For the glob, I support the following metacharacters:

- Reverse matching: if the glob begins with '!' or '!=', the
  sense of the match is reversed to "don't match".

- Case-sensitive matching: if the glob begins with '=' or '!=',
  perform a case-sensitive match. Otherwise filters are case-
  insensitive by default.

- Wildcards: '?' to match a single character, '*' to match
  zero or more characters.

- Character sets: e.g. '[abc]' to match any of 'a', 'b', 'c',
  or '[!abc]' to match any character except 'a', 'b', 'c'.

If the glob argument contains no metacharacters apart from the ! and =
flags, a straight substring match is performed. So there's no need to
match on a glob "*foo*", I can just use "foo".

If there is interest in this, I will clean it up for public consumption,
and publish it somewhere as a third-party module, and for consideration
for the stdlib.

--
Steve