[Python-ideas] list configuration

Stephen J. Turnbull turnbull.stephen.fw at u.tsukuba.ac.jp
Fri Jun 29 03:16:22 EDT 2018

I've cc'd python-ideas-owner, the folks who can actually do something
about it.

Chris Barker via Python-ideas writes:

 > I've been replying to messages lately, and getting a bounce back:
[...]
 > And it's not quite clar to me if the message actually got through.

In my experience it does, because when this happens to me it's due to
my reply-all inserting both python.org and googlegroups addresses in
the To and Cc fields.

 > IIUC, this is a Mailman list -- so it must be getting mirrored
 > through google groups, and at least with some people's posts, the
 > reply-to header is getting messed up.
 >
 > Anyone know what's going on?

I'm not sure about the process in your case.  What I've experienced is
that there are a couple of people who use googlegroups to read, and
when they post for some reason both the python.org and the
googlegroups addresses end up as addressees.  This might be Google
trying to monopolize mailing lists by putting the googlegroups address
in Reply-To, or it might be a poster error of using reply-all and not
cleaning out the googlegroups address (which doesn't bother them
because they're subscribed at googlegroups and googlegroups
deduplicates).

For historical reasons I use reply-all, so both addresses end up in
the addressees, and it bounces from googlegroups if I don't clean it
up.

 > It would be nice to fix this...

My personal approach would be to blackhole posts containing
googlegroups addresses in any header field, but that probably won't
fly. ;-)

I think it's probably not that hard to add some code to some handler
in Mailman's pipeline to strip out googlegroups addresses from the
list of addressees in outgoing posts, and if that makes googlegroups
unreliable, so be it.  It shouldn't, though, because the googlegroup
is subscribed to the list at python.org.

I don't see why this shouldn't be done globally for all lists at
python.org, for all googlegroups addresses.  AFAIK there are no
non-list mailboxes at googlegroups that would want to receive mail
there.

Steve