[Python-ideas] Upgrading python-ideas to MM3?

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 00:28:57 EST 2018

Hi folks,

A number of smaller python.org mailing lists have been successfully
migrated to the PSF's Mailman 3 infrastructure, for example, the
core-workflow mailing list:
https://mail.python.org/mm3/archives/list/core-workflow@python.org/

The biggest practical gain from the upgrade is to allow folks that prefer a
more forum-like experience to use the native web gateway rather than
subscribing to the list. (Although it does come with some general account
management improvements as well, since you get one user account with
multiple list subscriptions, rather than multiple independent subscriptions
that happen to share an email address).

So far we've refrained from upgrading any of the "big" lists with lots of
subscribers, but it seems to me that python-ideas could be a good test case
on that front:

* anything we discuss here necessarily isn't urgent, so if the migration
encounters unexpected problems, it's OK if list activity is disrupted for a
while
* for newcomers to the core development process, python-ideas is typically
going to be more relevant to them than the other big lists

Cheers,
Nick.

P.S. As per
https://github.com/python/core-workflow/issues/200#issuecomment-361818530,
subscription migrations are based on email addresses, so the key point
affecting individual users and list moderators is that you'll need to
either go to https://mail.python.org/mm3/accounts/login/ and log in using a
3rd party service that already has your subscription email associated with
it, or else go to https://mail.python.org/mm3/accounts/signup/ and create a
new account directly with the appropriate email address.