[Python-ideas] PEP 572 version 2: Statement-Local Name Bindings

Robert Vanden Eynde robertve92 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 16:24:08 EST 2018

Le 2 mars 2018 22:21, "Robert Vanden Eynde" <robertve92 at gmail.com> a écrit :

Le 2 mars 2018 22:13, "Chris Angelico" <rosuav at gmail.com> a écrit :

On Sat, Mar 3, 2018 at 7:47 AM, Robert Vanden Eynde
<robertve92 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> And please, don't top-post. Again, if your mail client encourages top
>> posting, either override it, or get a better one.
>
> @Chris @Rohdri (@Jonathan below)
>
> For morons like me who didn't know what "top-posting" was, I went on
> Wikipedia (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style).

As Ethan says, not a moron. (Though the way he put it, he sounded like
Wheatley... and if you don't know what I'm talking about, check out
Portal and Portal 2, they're games well worth playing.) One of the
beauties of text is that it's easy to research; if someone drops a
term like "top-posting", you key that into your search engine, and
voila, extra information. This is another advantage of separate
standards and common conventions. Everything works with everything
else, because it is simple and because nobody has to do everything
themselves. How do you use git to manage your CPython source tree?
It's exactly the same as using git for anything else, so you don't
need Python-specific information, just git-specific information. How
do you use a mailing list to discuss proposed language changes in
Python? Again, it's generic stuff about mailing lists, so you don't
need anything from Python. This is why we work with open standards.
Email and mailing lists are an important part of this.

ChrisA

As said on the Wikipedia page I shared,

"""

For a long time the traditional style was to post the answer below as much
of the quoted original as was necessary to understand the reply (bottom or
inline). Many years later, when email became widespread in business
communication, it became a widespread practice to reply above the entire
original and leave it (supposedly untouched) below the reply.

While each online community
<https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_community> differs on which styles
are appropriate or acceptable, within some communities the use of the
“wrong” method risks being seen as a breach of netiquette
<https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netiquette>, and can provoke vehement
response from community regulars.
"""

De-facto I wouldn't know which convention (of course now I clearly prefer
"interleaved posting" for obvious reason... Now that I know how to do it)
so a Manual or HowTo when signing in would be an idea :)

Of course, I clearly prefer interleaved posting for obvious reasons...  now
that I know how to produce it using my daily mail client.

Damn it, I forgot to erase the first paragraph, I'm used to forum app where
you can quickly edit a sent message when nobody already read it.

By the way, yes, text is wonderful, searchable and archivable, that's one
of the reasons to love programming and markup language :)