[Python-ideas] Descouraging the implicit string concatenation

Oleg Broytman phd at phdru.name
Wed Mar 14 10:52:53 EDT 2018

On Thu, Mar 15, 2018 at 01:18:06AM +1100, Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 14, 2018 at 02:31:58PM +0100, Oleg Broytman wrote:
> >    Once I stumbled over a bug caused by this in legacy code in
> > production. Fixing it was quite painful!
>
> Did you mean that *finding* the bug was painful? Fixing it should be
> trivially easy: add a comma.

   The most painful was that the bug destroyed important information
that was hard to fix later (enterprise code in production, the code is
certificated and hard to replace).

   The second pain was to understand what was going on. When a program
report "The OID in the certificate doesn't belong to the proper root
OID" it's simpler to decide that the certificate is wrong, not that the
list of root OIDs to check is wrong.

   The third pain was to find the bug. It's hard to spot a problem in
the list

oids = [
    "1.2.6.254.14."
    "19.9.91.281",
    "1.2.6.263.12."
    "481.7.9.6.3.87"
    "1.2.7.4.214.7."
    "9.1.52.12",
]

   There were about 50 OIDs like these, and the missing comma was in the
middle of the list.

> --
> Steve

Oleg.