[Python-ideas] New PEP proposal -- Pathlib Module Should Contain All File Operations -- version 2

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Sun Mar 18 10:34:35 EDT 2018

On 17 March 2018 at 22:49, George Fischhof <george at fischhof.hu> wrote:

>>>     * os.truncate
>>>
>>>     * shutil.copyfileobj
>>>

>>> This function does not take paths as arguments. I guess it does not belong
>>> here.
>
> No path, it is true (right now), but it has sense to have this function
> among the others.

So you're proposing to include these how? As standalone functions in
pathlib? Strong -1 on that. I thought the intention here was to add
methods to path objects (which I still have reservations about). But
I'm definitely against adding standalone functions to pathlib - I see
pathlib as where Path objects are defined, not as "the place where all
path-related and other file operations should live").

Paul