[Python-ideas] New PEP proposal -- Pathlib Module Should Contain All File Operations

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Mon Mar 19 12:59:18 EDT 2018

On 3/19/2018 11:31 AM, Rhodri James wrote:
> On 18/03/18 11:58, George Fischhof wrote:
>> it seems for me that the welcoming of this proposal is rather positive
>> than
>> not.
>
> I think you may have observer bias :-)

Or, as often happens, George is making too much of a biased sample of
opinions -- those who care enough to respond, *given what has also been
said.*  Python-idea works best as a place to evaluate ideas and develop
alternatives.  Vote counting is premature.  Proposers *must* be flexible
and not defend their initial solution like the Alamo.

> As far as I am concerned you have yet to make a convincing case that
> there is a problem, never mind that your solution is appropriate.  Your
> solution also isn't detailed enough, as several people have pointed out.

I am convinced that *some* people, especially but not limited to
newbies, find the current situation confusing and less than optimal.  I
am also pretty convinced that the idea of dumping a copy of everything
into pathlib is the wrong solution. I most agree with the latest posts
from Nathaniel Smith and Stephen Trunball.

--
Terry Jan Reedy