[Python-ideas] New PEP proposal -- Pathlib Module Should Contain All File Operations

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Tue Mar 20 12:22:57 EDT 2018

On Mon, 19 Mar 2018 at 18:08 Chris Barker <chris.barker at noaa.gov> wrote:

> [SNIP]
> PS: does shutil really still not work with Path objects? aarrgg!

Did you verify this or are you just guessing? If this is true then file a
bug and optionally submit a patch. Saying "aarrgg" doesn't fix the
situation nor motivate people to help out, especially when it sounds like
you're not even sure yourself that it's even a problem.

> PPS: someone made a comment about "having to update every book about
> python" -- so I"ll repeat: that decision was made when pathlib was added.

That was me and yes, we had to have updates made because we thought pathlib
was worth it. At this point the PEP as proposed has not made the case that
what it wants to add is worth it because right now it's just a huge bullet
list of functions from two modules with no specific motivation behind the
individual changes. The whole point of my comment is to say "we can't make
changes just because; changes have to meet a certain bar of improvement"
and this point the PEP has not proven there is such an improvement based on
what has been proposed.

IOW the core devs I have seen comment on this have pretty much all said
"justify the individual methods" and yet no one has done that yet, so any
discussion other than trying to meet that need is not helping to move
anything forward.