[Python-ideas] New PEP proposal -- Pathlib Module ShouldContain All File Operations -- version 2

Mike Miller python-ideas at mgmiller.net
Fri Mar 23 18:22:47 EDT 2018

On 2018-03-23 13:47, Jason Maldonis wrote:
>     I’ve found it odd that there doesn’t even seem to be acknowledgment among
>     longtime python users that the current hodgepodge is pretty dysfunctional
>     for new users.

I'll acknowledge it too, just that after X years it becomes second nature as you
know.

Tinkered around at lunchtime with a module to bring them under one roof.  Named
it "f2" because "fs" was taken on PyPI and thought the name should be very short
since it could potentially be used in every script, like os and sys are.

     https://github.com/mixmastamyk/f2

Just poking around these questions came up about what to include:

     - Include file descriptors apis?
     - chroot?
     - l- functions to not follow links?
     - Unix dev files?  obscure
     - pathconf?
     - supports_* api?
     - Only scandirs or walk too?

     - Should unpack os.path functions into the root?  Handy but many of them.
         - path and Path in same module could confuse.

     - Unpack file-related shutil functions?  Or leave as submodule?

Perhaps this is enough to generate some comments.

-Mike