[Python-ideas] Objectively Quantifying Readability

Eric Fahlgren ericfahlgren at gmail.com
Tue May 1 11:28:47 EDT 2018

On Tue, May 1, 2018 at 8:04 AM, Jacco van Dorp <j.van.dorp at deonet.nl> wrote:

> > Rhodri James wrote:
> >>
> >> I'd be interested to know if there is a readability difference between
> >> really_long_descriptive_identifier_name and
> >> ReallyLongDescriptiveIdentifierNames.
> >

> > As one data point on that, jerking my eyes quickly across
> > that line I found it much easier to pick out the component
> > words in the one with underscores.
>
> Which is funny, because I had the exact opposite.
>
> Might it be that we've had different conditioning ?

​Almost certainly.  I started using CamelCase in the mid-'80s and it seems
very natural to me, since we still use it for (as you mention) GUI packages
derived from C extension modules with that convention.  On the other hand,
I've also written a lot of snake_form identifiers in non-GUI Python, so
that seems fairly natural to me, too.​