[Python-ideas] Pattern Matching Syntax

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Fri May 4 12:36:24 EDT 2018

Can I recommend going slow here? This is a very interesting topic where
many languages have gone before. I liked Daniel F Moisset's analysis about
the choices of a language designer and his conclusion that match should be
a statement.

I just noticed the very similar proposal for JavaScript linked to by the
OP: https://github.com/tc39/proposal-pattern-matching -- this is more
relevant than what's done in e.g. F# or Swift because Python and JS are
much closer. (Possibly Elixir is also relevant, it seems the JS proposal
borrows from that.)

A larger topic may be how to reach decisions. If I've learned one thing
from PEP 572 it's that we need to adjust how we discuss and evaluate
proposals. I'll think about this and start a discussion at the Language
Summit about this.

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)