[Python-ideas] Inline assignments using "given" clauses

Sven R. Kunze srkunze at mail.de
Fri May 11 07:05:09 EDT 2018

On 11.05.2018 09:38, Greg Ewing wrote:
> Kirill Balunov wrote:
>>
>> While for those who are familiar with Pascal, Icon and other
>> languages that use this syntax, this - `:=` looks natural.
>
> As someone familiar with Pascal, I think the similarity to
> the Pascal assignment operator is actually an argument
> *against* it. Knowing what it means in Pascal is confusing,
> because Pascal's ":=" is equivalent to Python's "=" (it's
> strictly a statement, and can't be used in expressions).

Same here. It means something different.

Also coding in Pascal was annoying from the beginning with its extremely
verbose syntax like begin/end etc.
So, ":=" also felt like "why the hell do we need a colon in front of the
equal sign?"
Absolutely unnecessary bloat, like almost everything in Pascal.

Maybe that's also part, why I am -1 on the proposal. Who knows...