[Python-ideas] Inline assignments using "given" clauses

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Fri May 11 13:11:01 EDT 2018

On Fri, May 11, 2018 at 12:33:10PM -0400, Guido van Rossum wrote:

> A thought just occurred to me. Maybe we need to instigate a cultural shift
> where people think about style guides as less dictated by hard-coded rules
> that were "passed down from the mountain" and more as derived from research
> that we can all understand about usability.

That would be fantastic, but it's a real uphill battle.

How long have we known about the effects of low-contrast on readability?

https://www.wired.com/2016/10/how-the-web-became-unreadable/

http://contrastrebellion.com/

And don't get me started on the awful, awful choices made for chart
design and data visualisation. We know how to make good charts:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Tufte

and yet:

https://i.redd.it/0w0y1r1ba8x01.jpg

--