[Python-ideas] Inline assignments using "given" clauses

Brendan Barnwell brenbarn at brenbarn.net
Sun May 13 15:04:37 EDT 2018

On 2018-05-13 11:53, Matt Arcidy wrote:
> again, you want to use given, that's fine, but the math argument is
> wrong, as is the "it doesn't matter" argument, assuming the current
> neurological model for working memory continues to hold.

	Sorry, but that's nonsense.  In the message you're replying to, what
I'm arguing "doesn't matter" is the WORD used to do the postfixing.  Are
you seriously saying that the "neurological model for working memory"
means that "x + y where x = foo" is easier to understand, on a
fundamental neurological basis, than "x + y given x = foo"?  Since
you're the one who was advocating for objective measures, I'm sure
you'll understand if I want some solid objective evidence for that!

	If you're saying that the entire concept of postfixing the givens
(rather than putting them before the expression) creates greater
cognitive load, then how do you explain the use of this format in the
Wikipedia articles I linked, not to mention various math papers, texts,
etc. throughout the world?

	Finally, even if we allow that postfixed-givens does increase cognitive
load on a single, initial reading, that's not sufficient.  Part of what
I'm saying is that on LATER readings it's faster to see the overall
expression first, because you don't have to plow through the definitions
of the givens.

--
Brendan Barnwell
"Do not follow where the path may lead.  Go, instead, where there is no