[Python-ideas] Sorry for yet another self discussion

Chris Barker chris.barker at noaa.gov
Mon May 14 11:48:41 EDT 2018

> So I was thinking: why not do define the methods
> > like: "def self.whatevermethod(par1, par2, etc)" instead of "def
> > whatevermethod(self, par1, par2, etc)"?

because "self" in this case is a class instance, passed in at method call
time.

but "whatevermethod" is a class attribute.

note the distinction between the class object (shared by all instances) and
the instance object. I'm not saying the compiler couldn't make it work, but
I am saying that it would confuse the issue -- as it would not be defining
an attribute of self, even though it looks like it is.

-CHB

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov