[Python-ideas] High Precision datetime

David Mertz mertz at gnosis.cx
Mon May 14 18:48:01 EDT 2018

Chris is certainly right. A program that deals with femtosecond intervals
should almost surely start by defining a "start of experiment" epoch where
microseconds are fine. Then within that epoch, events should be monotonic
integers for when measured or calculated times are marked.

I can easily see reasons why a specialized wrapped int for
FemtosecondsFromStart could be useful. But that's still a specialized need
for a third party library. One possible use of this class might be to
interoperate with datetimes or timedeltas. Conceivably sick
interoperability could be dealing with leap seconds when needed. But
"experiment time" should be a simple monotonic and uniform counter.