[Python-ideas] Verbatim names (allowing keywords as names)

Rob Cliffe rob.cliffe at btinternet.com
Thu May 17 17:38:18 EDT 2018

On 16/05/2018 10:12, Stephan Houben wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> One problem already alluded to with the \identifier syntax is that it
> only works
> if the old Python version is sufficiently recent to understand \.
>
> What about using parentheses to allow a keyword to be used as an
> identifier:
> (where)(x, y)

I believe this is the first proposal that allows future-proofing of new
code while preserving complete backward compatibility.  As far as I
know,    ( keyword )    is never legal syntax.
Of course, putting brackets round every occurrence of every identifier
that you think might become an identifier in the next century is a bit
of a chore.  There is no perfect solution.
Best wishes
Rob Cliffe