[Python-ideas] OT: slowing rotation [was: High Precision datetime]

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Fri May 18 04:05:47 EDT 2018

Ethan Furman wrote:
> How long before the earth stops rotating?

Apparently about 1.9 trillion years.

 > When it does, will we be
 > tide-locked with the sun, or will an earth day become an earth year?

Wikipedia says the main cause of the slowing is tidal effects
from the moon, so probably it would become tide-locked with the
moon and then not slow any further.

Having a month-long day ought to make our current fears about
climate change look like a lot of panic over nothing.

However, the good news is that we won't have to worry about
it. The sun will become a red giant and swallow the earth
long before then.

--
Greg