[Python-ideas] Verbatim names (allowing keywords as names)

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Fri May 18 02:05:05 EDT 2018

Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> It's Python 3.8, and I learn that in 4.0 "spam" is going to become a
> keyword. I simply take my code and change all the references spam to
> \spam, and I've future-proofed the code for 4.0 while still keeping
> compatibility with 3.8 and 3.9.

Okay, maybe it helps a little bit, but not very much. There
will still be a lot of reluctance to add new keywords, because
of the disruption it will cause to existing code.

If we've learned nothing else from the Python 3 changeover,
it's that many people work in an environment where it's
extremely difficult to update working code.

--
Greg