[Python-ideas] Debugging: some problems and possible solutions

Stephen J. Turnbull turnbull.stephen.fw at u.tsukuba.ac.jp
Sun Oct 7 08:31:21 EDT 2018

Jonathan Fine writes:

 > I'm thinking of providing a builtin debug() command

"Command" doesn't make much sense in this context.  I presume you mean
"function".

 > that 'does the right thing' according to the context. And the
 > context would include the user's preferences. Which might be to use
 > the print command in your devtools package.

"Do what I mean" is inappropriate for a built-in because you have no
idea who might be calling it.  I can see an API (say, that of class
Pdb ;-) and various implementations (starting with Pdb and finally
evolving as Jonathan Fine's Magic Mind-Reading Debugging Environment).
Wait, wut???!!!  Look here:

 > I suggest the builtin debug() would determine the API, and provide a
 > reference implementation. And that many users (perhaps through their
 > IDE) would choose a different implementation.

The necessary builtin for this is already available.  Its name is
"breakpoint".