[Python-ideas] Multi Statement Lambdas

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sun Oct 21 17:58:45 EDT 2018

On 10/21/2018 12:06 PM, Andreas Winschu wrote:

> There was an extensive discussion about this in the past.
>
> https://www.artima.com/weblogs/viewpost.jsp?thread=147358

And perhaps 20 other threads, now including this one.

> In the end Guido felt that his effort seems to him like building a Rube
> Goldberg machine.
>
> By looking at the amount of people still stumbling on this issue

What I have seen for 20 years on python-list and perhaps 5 on
Stackoverflow is beginners repeatedly stumbling on properly writing and
using lambda expressions as they are.

> we definitely feel, that it is not the.

?? The royal 'we'??

> "Naming things" was from the beginning one the two hardest things in
> programming.

I completely disagree.  I would put naming maybe 20th.  Perhaps this
explains why you would want anonymous multiline functions while I think
they are a foolish idea.

> Guido had a hard opinion on this, but i hope the python community does
> not.

Hah.  If I were the new BDFL, I would be tempted to ban further
discussion.  However, your revelation about how you have a difficulty
with naming that I do not helps explain our different viewpoints.

--
Terry Jan Reedy