[Python-ideas] TypeHinting: From variable name to type

Anders Hovmöller boxed at killingar.net
Mon Oct 22 08:35:40 EDT 2018

> But the critical point here is that we should not add a language feature
> to make up for the limitations of a single IDE. If the free version of
> PyCharm is underpowered, perhaps you ought to try the paid version, or
> another IDE, or submit a feature request to PyCharm, *before* turning to
> the Python language.

Which IDE do you use that is so much greater than PyCharm? I would love to try it!

> Of course I do. It isn't an edge-case, it is representative of the vast
> majority of variable names:
>
> - "A single variable name is always the same type" is the edge-case.

I strongly disagree. I also wrote a mail with my motivation and context where I asked you to supply your basis for believing this. You have not replied. I think we need to try to understand each others perspective here, but it's really hard to understand yours if you won't give us any information on it.

/ Anders