[Python-ideas] Standardising ASGI as a PEP

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Sun Oct 28 10:35:13 EDT 2018

On 28.10.2018 05:15, Andrew Godwin wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 27, 2018 at 7:16 PM Nathaniel Smith <njs at pobox.com
> <mailto:njs at pobox.com>> wrote:
>
>     The WSGI PEP is a bit of a funny thing, since it's a PEP that doesn't
>     really involve the language or stdlib. (I guess there's wsgiref, but I
>     don't think it being in the stdlib actually affects much these days.)
>

> Right. This is why I think I'm unsure quite how to approach replacing it.

Why would you want to replace it, if what you have in mind is a
different standard for a different audience and use case ?

WSGI is not going to go away as a standard since it is useful
and works well in the context of non-async web applications.

You'll win more fans for ASGI by not going confrontational,
since that just sidetracks discussions into non-productive
terrains.

>     What are you hoping to accomplish by making ASGI a PEP?
>

> Essentially to put it on the same platform as things like WSGI and
> DBAPI2 - to have a directly accepted standard that forms part of the
> language core. Obviously this is not required for things to function and
> people to develop against it, but it wasn't required for WSGI either, so
> in some ways the reason I think it should be a PEP is pretty much purely
> because WSGI is.

It's a good idea to turn this into an informational PEP similar
to the DB API. These standards are developed outside the usual
Python development process, but provide good guidance for the
Python community at large.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Experts (#1, Oct 28 2018)

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/
                      http://www.malemburg.com/