[Python-ideas] Add "default" kwarg to list.pop()

Giampaolo Rodola' g.rodola at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 19:44:55 EDT 2018

Sorry in advance if this has been proposed in the past but I couldn't find
anything on python-ideas:

>>> l = []
>>> l.pop(default=1)
1

FWIW my use case consists in reading entries from /proc/diskstats where
lines can have a variable number of fields depending on the kernel version:
https://github.com/giampaolo/psutil/issues/1354#issuecomment-434495870
https://github.com/giampaolo/psutil/blob/d8b05151e65f9348aff9b58da977abd8cacb2127/psutil/_pslinux.py#L1068
As such it would be convenient to set missing fields to 0 as "reads =
fields.pop(default=0)" instead of catching IndexError every time. Extra:
for consistency set.pop() should probably have the same.

Thoughts?

--
Giampaolo - http://grodola.blogspot.com