[Python-ideas] Add Unicode-aware str.reverse() function?

Paddy3118 paddy3118 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 8 07:33:07 EDT 2018

I wrote a blog post
<http://paddy3118.blogspot.com/2009/07/case-of-disappearing-over-bar.html>nearly
a decade ago on extending a Rosetta Code task example
<http://rosettacode.org/wiki/Reverse_a_string>to handle the correct
reversal of strings with combining characters.
On checking my blog statistics today I found that it still had a readership
and revisited the code
<http://rosettacode.org/wiki/Reverse_a_string#Python:_Unicode_reversal>
(and updated it to Python3.6)..

I found that amongst the nearly 200 languages that complete the RC
task,there were a smattering of languages that correctly handled reversing
strings having Unicode combining characters,
including Perl 6 <http://rosettacode.org/wiki/Reverse_a_string#Perl_6>
which uses flip.

I would like to propose that Python add a Unicode-aware *str.reverse *method.
The problem is, I'm a Brit, who only speaks English and only very rarely
dips into Unicode.* I don't know how useful this would be!*

Cheers, Paddy.