[Python-ideas] Keyword only argument on function call

Michael Selik mike at selik.org
Sat Sep 8 10:26:41 EDT 2018

On Sat, Sep 8, 2018, 6:34 AM Anders Hovmöller <boxed at killingar.net> wrote:

> > A finer grained analysis tool would be helpful. I'm -0 on the idea
> because I believe it would discourage more expressive names in calling
> contexts in order to enable the proposed syntax. But I also see a big
> difference between cases where all keywords match calling names and cases
> where only a few of them do.
>
> I’ll try to find some time to tune it when I get back to work then.

Even better would be to show full context on one or a few cases where this
syntax helps. I've found that many proposals in this mailing list have
better solutions when one can see the complete code. If your proposal seems
like the best solution after seeing the context, that can be more
compelling than some assertion about 30% of parameters.

If you can't share proprietary code, why not link to a good example in the
Django project? If nothing else, maybe Django could get a pull request out
of this.