[Python-ideas] Fwd: Add Unicode-aware str.reverse() function?

Jonathan Fine jfine2358 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 8 16:55:26 EDT 2018

Chris Angelico wrote:

> Improving a rendering engine or console so it's capable of correct RTL
> display is outside the scope of Python code, generally.

I agree with you, generally.

But there are over 600 million people who speak a RTL language. About
12% of the world's population. I'd like Python's command line console
to work for them.

It may be worth making a special effort, and breaking a general rule,
here. But we'd have to think carefully about it, and have expert help.

I'm beginning to think that, as well as (instead of?) IDLE, a browser
based Python command line console might be a good idea. For example,
I'm getting reasonable results from using

      https://brython.info/tests/editor.html?lang=en

Perhaps RTL and LTR problems by themselves are not sufficient reason
to make a browser-based IDLE. But they should be a significant
influence. Something to think about.

By the way, IDLE has the same problem.

--
Jonathan