[Python-ideas] Add Unicode-aware str.reverse() function?

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Sun Sep 9 01:29:07 EDT 2018

On Sat, Sep 08, 2018 at 04:33:07AM -0700, Paddy3118 wrote:
> I wrote a blog post
> <http://paddy3118.blogspot.com/2009/07/case-of-disappearing-over-bar.html>nearly
> a decade ago on extending a Rosetta Code task example
> <http://rosettacode.org/wiki/Reverse_a_string>to handle the correct
> reversal of strings with combining characters.

I wouldn't care too much about a dedicated "reverse" method that handled
combining characters. I think that's just a special case of iterating
over graphemes. If we can iterate over graphemes, then reversing because
trivial:

''.join(reversed(mystring.graphemes()))

The Unicode Consortium offer an algorithm for identifying grapheme
clusters in text strings, and there's at least three requests on the
tracker (one closed, two open).

https://bugs.python.org/issue30717

https://bugs.python.org/issue18406

https://bugs.python.org/issue12733