[Python-ideas] Keyword only argument on function call

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Sun Sep 9 08:51:29 EDT 2018

On Sun, Sep 09, 2018 at 07:37:21AM +0200, Anders Hovmöller wrote:

> > You have carefully avoided explicitly accusing me of making a straw man
> > argument while nevertheless making a completely irrelevant mention of
> > it, associating me with the fallacy.
>
> I read that as him accusing you very directly.

Okay.

> > That is not part of an honest or open discussion.
> >
> > Anders made a proposal for a change in syntax. I made a prediction of
> > the possible unwelcome consequences of that suggested syntax. In no way,
> > shape or form is that a straw man.
>
> You kept saying I was “forcing” to use the new syntax. You said it
> over and over even after we pointed out this was not the actual
> suggestion. This is classic straw man.

Over and over again, you say. Then it should be really easy for you to
link to a post from me saying that. I've only made six posts in this
thread (seven including this one) so it should only take you a minute to
justify (or retract) your accusation:

https://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-ideas/2018-September/author.html

Here are a couple of quotes to get you started:

    Of course I understand that with this proposal, there's nothing
    *forcing* people to use it.

https://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-ideas/2018-September/053282.html

    With the usual disclaimer that I understand it will never be
    manditory [sic] to use this syntax ...

https://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-ideas/2018-September/053257.html

> But ok, let’s be more charitable and interpret it as you wrote it
> later: that it won’t be forcing per se, but that the feature will be
> *so compelling* it will be preferred at all times over both normal
> keyword arguments *and* positional arguments.

Vigorous debate is one thing. Misrepresenting my position is not.

This isn't debate club where the idea is to win by any means, including
by ridiculing exaggerated versions of the other side's argument.
(There's a name for that fallacy, you might have heard of it.)

We're supposed to be on the same side, trying to determine what is the
best features for the language. We don't have to agree on what those
features are, but we do have to agree to treat each other's position
with fairness.

--
Steve