[Python-ideas] Retire or reword the "Beautiful is better than ugly" Zen clause

Mark E. Haase mehaase at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 12:13:58 EDT 2018

On Thu, Sep 13, 2018 at 10:49 AM Rhodri James <rhodri at kynesim.co.uk> wrote:

More importantly, this whole idea of banning and/or changing terminology is
> psychologically and sociologically wrong-headed.  The moment you say "You
> may not use that word" you create a taboo, and give the word a power that
> it did not have before.

Samantha posted this as a *proposal* to python-*ideas*, the mailing list
where we purportedly discuss... umm... ideas. Samantha has not banned any
words from Python, so let's tone down the hyperbole.

These responses that assume Samantha is a troll are based on... what? Other
posters on this list use Yandex e-mails, and nobody called those people
trolls. And there are a lot of disagreements about ideas, and most of those
people don't get called trolls, either. The Python CoC calls for *respect*,
and I posit that the majority reaction to Samantha's first post has been
disrespectful.

Engage the post on the ideas—or ignore it altogether—but please don't
automatically label newcomers with controversial ideas as trolls. Let's
assume her proposal was made in good faith.