[Python-ideas] Retire or reword the "Beautiful is better than ugly" Zen clause

Jonathan Fine jfine2358 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 13:19:05 EDT 2018

The line in question is from Tim Peters' "The Zen of Python"

    Beautiful is better than <something>.

where at present <something> is "ugly". My opinion, based on my
present experience and knowledge, is that it is reasonable to consider
asking Tim to change <something>.

Also, I suggest that in the context of Python and its Zen

    Beautiful is better than cryptic.

may work better. I don't wish to change

    Beautiful is better than

but I think in the Python context "beautiful" might have a better
opposing idea. Hence my suggestion of "cryptic".

By the way,

    https://www.thesaurus.com/browse/beautiful

gives 20 'equal first' antonyms for beautiful, starting with awkward
and ending with unrefined. You might also want to look at

    https://www.thesaurus.com/browse/cryptic
    https://www.thesaurus.com/browse/ugly

At present I'm neither for or against making any change. I am in
favour of having a respectful discussion, where we learn from each
other.

--
Jonathan