[Python-ideas] Retire or reword the "Beautiful is better than ugly" Zen clause

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Thu Sep 13 19:02:51 EDT 2018

Calvin Spealman wrote:
> I ask everyone on this thread being rude to please step back and try to
> look at the issue without your bias and knee-jerk reactions.

I've given it some thought, and this is what I think:

As has been pointed out, context is important. The reason that
shunning people for not having beautiful bodies is distasteful
is that people don't have much choice about their physical
appearance.

But we *do* have a choice about which non-human things we
surround ourselves with, especially those things that we
make ourselves. Calling for the words "beautiful" and "ugly"
to be expunged from the language is saying that we shouldn't
be allowed to choose *anything* based on how it affects us
aesthetically. That, I think, would make the world a rather
miserable place to live in.

--
Greg