[Python-ideas] Combine f-strings with i18n

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Fri Sep 14 05:33:24 EDT 2018

On Fri, Sep 14, 2018 at 7:02 PM, Hans Polak <hpolak at polak.es> wrote:
> I have recently updated my code to use the more pythonic f-string instead of
> '{}'.format()

Well there's your problem right there. Don't change your string
formatting choice on that basis. F-strings aren't "more Pythonic" than
either .format() or percent-formatting; all three of them are
supported for good reasons.

For i18n, I think .format() is probably your best bet. Trying to mess
with f-strings to give them methods is a path of great hairiness, as
they are not actually objects (they're expressions).

ChrisA