[Python-ideas] Retire or reword the "Beautiful is better than ugly" Zen clause

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Fri Sep 14 05:35:46 EDT 2018

On Fri, 14 Sep 2018 10:47:07 +1200
Greg Ewing <greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz> wrote:

> M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
> > For
> > me, it refers to a general feeling of consistency, pureness and
> > standing out on its own. It's abstract and doesn't have
> > anything to do with humans.
>
> Yep. And the proposed replacement "clean/dirty" doesn't even
> mean the same thing. It's entirely possible for a thing to
> be spotlessly clean without being beautiful or elegant.

Well, not to mention that if you care about discrimination of people
(assuming one doesn't understand what polysemy is :-)), then I'm not
sure that clean/dirty is much better than beautiful/ugly (see e.g.
Norbert Elias "The Civilizing Process" about how cleanliness norms
historically developed - at least in the Western world - in the upper
classes of pacified European kingdoms), while elegant/inelegant may
even be worse.

Regards

Antoine.