[Python-ideas] An experiment migrating bug tracker to GitLab

Karthikeyan tir.karthi at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 13:27:48 EDT 2018

PEP 581 proposes the migration of bug tracking to GitHub issues. I have
done a project to collect all issues in https://bugs.python.org. I have
parsed the HTML data and migrated the issues to GitLab along with labels
for issues and comments which is pretty much similar to GitHub issues. I
have just added a comment from my account preceded by the Author name. I
have migrated around 140 issues out of the 30000 issues for a
demonstration. I can see some immediate benefits as follows which also
apply to GitHub :

* GitHub and GitLab support markdown thus code snippets can have
highlighting.
* Labels can be filtered from the UI and are helpful for triaging.
* GitLab allows subscription for a label so that developers can subscribe
for new issues in a label.
* There are categories like milestones and priority that can help in
release management.
* They provide API and thus we can build integrations around issues.

Some notes :

I haven't parsed code in comments to enable syntax highlighting since it's
hard to parse.

Repo and feedback welcome : https://gitlab.com/tirkarthi/python-bugs/issues

Thanks