[Python-ideas] Moving to another forum system where moderation is possible

Chris Barker chris.barker at noaa.gov
Thu Sep 20 04:16:10 EDT 2018

On Tue, Sep 18, 2018 at 9:05 PM, Franklin? Lee <
leewangzhong+python at gmail.com> wrote:

> What people may really be clamoring for is a larger moderation team,
> or a heavier hand. They want more enforcement, not more effective
> enforcement.

Or maybe clamoring for nothing -- it's just not that hard to ignore a
thread ....

Frankly, I think the bigger issue is all too human -- we get sucked in and
participate when we really know we shouldn't (or maybe that's just me).

And I'm having a hard time figuring out how moderation would actually
result in the "good" discussion we really want in an example like the
"beautiful is better than ugly" issue, without someone trusted individual
approving every single post -- I don't imagine anyone wants to do that.

Let's just keep it on email -- I, at least, find i never participate in any
other type of discussion forum regularly.

-CHB

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov