[Python-ideas] Moving to another forum system where moderation is possible

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Thu Sep 20 12:58:03 EDT 2018

On Tue, 18 Sep 2018 at 12:20 Ethan Furman <ethan at stoneleaf.us> wrote:

> On 09/18/2018 12:05 PM, Franklin? Lee wrote:
> > On Tue, Sep 18, 2018 at 2:37 PM Jonathan Goble wrote:
>
> >> Perhaps not, but part of that might be because stopping an active
>  >> discussion on a mailing list can be hard to do, so one might not even
>  >> try. Some discussions, I suspect, may have gone on in circles long past
>  >> the point where they would have been locked on a forum. With forum
>  >> software, it becomes much easier, and would be a more effective tool to
>  >> terminate discussions that are going nowhere fast and wasting
> everyone's
>  >> time.
>
> True.
>
> > But there's no evidence that such tools would help.

Software
> > enforcement powers are only necessary if verbal enforcement isn't
> > enough. We need the current moderators (or just Brett) to say whether
> > they feel it isn't enough.
>
> It isn't enough.

Ethan's correct, it isn't enough. The past two weeks have been pretty
horrible for me as an admin and Titus and I need to find a solution to keep
this place sustainable long-term, otherwise I'm liable to burn out from
running this list (and before anyone says it, more admins will not help as
we have already tried that in the past).

> > What people may really be clamoring for is a larger moderation team,
> > or a heavier hand. They want more enforcement, not more effective
> > enforcement.
>
> More ineffective enforcement will be, um, ineffective.
>
> Let's have a test.  I'm a moderator (from -List).  We're* working on
> avenues to improve the mailing tools and
> simultaneously testing other options.  I'm not seeing anything new in this
> thread that will impact that one way or
> another, so I'm asking for all of us to move on to other topics.

What Ethan said. :) I'm now muting this thread as it has already become a
subjective debate of the value of email versus not which doesn't help me as
no one has come forward with anything I didn't already know, and this is
all before we have even had a chance to start an evaluation of alternatives
(IOW there's nothing for anyone on either side of this debate to actually
debate about when it comes to this mailing list yet :) .