[Python-ideas] Moving to another forum system where

Stephen J. Turnbull turnbull.stephen.fw at u.tsukuba.ac.jp
Sat Sep 22 04:00:26 EDT 2018

Chris Barker via Python-ideas writes:
 > On Fri, Sep 21, 2018 at 1:24 PM James Lu <jamtlu at gmail.com> wrote:
 >
 > > One of the reasons Guido left was the insane volume of emails he
 > > had to read on Python-ideas.
 >
 > You'd have to ask Guido directly, but I don't think so. It wasn't
 > the volume, but the nature and timing of the discussion that was so
 > difficult.

+1.  I have talked to Guido about this issue, though long before his
BDFL resignation, and at that time he pointed out nature and timing as
his primary concern.  (Antoine Pitrou has also lamented the fact that
people take a post asking for help on a technical issue in an approved
PR as a chance to reopen debate on the wisdom of the change.)  For
Guido, the "thread mute" feature of his MUA does a lot of work to
mitigate volume.

 > Maybe we need something in-between python-idea and python-dev -- a
 > place to discuss "serious" proposals, where "serious" means
 > somewhat fleshed out, and with the support of at least a couple key
 > people.

I'm with Greg Ewing on this: an additional list simply adds more
potential for confusion and misinformation.

 > One of the problems with the assignment expression discussion is
 > that it got pretty far on python-ideas, then moved to python-dev,
 > where is was further discussed (and there were parallel thread on
 > the two lists)[.]

That's a good point, one I had not noticed, and very useful to the
Mailman devs.

This is an excellent reason for invoking cloture on a thread.  It's
the only one needed on Python lists IMO -- if things get bad enough
that enforced moderation, rather than a "nothing to see here, people,
please move along" post, is needed, usually there's a bad actor who
needs a time out.

Steve