[Python-ideas] PEPs: Theory of operation [was: Moving to another forum system ...]

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Sat Sep 22 08:27:11 EDT 2018

Sorry, hit send too soon...

On Sat, 22 Sep 2018 at 13:24, Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 22 Sep 2018 at 10:56, Anders Hovmöller <boxed at killingar.net> wrote:
> >

> > > If one doesn't know who the senior developers are yet, she should think
> > > twice about whether she's ready to PEP anything.  That's not a litmus
> > > test; some PEPs have eventually succeeded though the proponent was new
> > > to the project development process.[2]  But it's a lot less painful if
> > > you can tell who's likely to be able to sway the whole project one way
> > > or the other.
> >
> > I think that entire paragraph made it sound even worse than what I wrote originally. It reads to an outsider as “if you don’t know what’s wrong I’m not going to tell you”.

More like, if you're not sufficiently familiar with the community or
the language, you have some research to do to get to a point where
your proposals are likely to be sufficiently well informed. People
could simply tell you the facts, but that wouldn't help with the
process of becoming familiar with the community/language.

Yes, that's a barrier to people making proposals. But not all barriers
to entry are bad - this one says, do your research in advance, which
IMO is a bare minimum people should expect to need to do...

Paul