[Python-ideas] JS’ governance model is worth inspecting

James Lu jamtlu at gmail.com
Sat Sep 22 14:27:38 EDT 2018

> To my mind, there is one very big reason we should be cautious about
> adopting JS language-design policies, namely, that they have led to a
> very, very poorly designed language.  No doubt a good deal of that is
> baggage from early stages in which JS had a poor to nonexistent language
> design governance model.  Nonetheless, the failure of JS to fix its
> numerous fundamental flaws, and especially the rapid feature churn in
> recent years, suggests to me that their model should be viewed with
> skepticism.
I disagree. The language is often very flexible and effective in its domains. I don’t know what you mean by “rapid feature churn”, churn usually means existing features are superseded by newer ones- this isn’t the case.

JS is much more nuanced than it appears on the surface. It’s understandable that those with only a glossing of JS look down on it, because JS really was a primitive language a few years ago.

You can learn about JS in depth with the poorly-named “You don’t know JS” free online book.