[Python-ideas] Why is design-by-contracts not widely

Franklin? Lee leewangzhong+python at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 12:52:35 EDT 2018

Those arguments are rules of thumb, which may or may not apply to DbC,
and speculation, based on why DbC isn't more popular, to explain why
DbC isn't more popular. They are general arguments for features in
general, whereas Marko has been giving arguments for why DbC in
particular is good or why it isn't more popular. The general arguments
don't address the specific arguments.

I don't use DbC, but I do use Numpy. Numpy is a very mathematical
library, with many pure functions. It has lots of similarities between
its functions and methods. I can easily see how design-by-contract can
help Numpy users read the documentation and compare functions.

Text is often less structured, so it is less likely to come out
consistent. After all, isn't that why we keep adding structure to it,
such as with Javadocs and Sphinx? Those examples add more syntax,
while Marko's proposal doesn't necessarily require more syntax.