[Python-ideas] Why is design-by-contracts not widely adopted?

David Stanek dstanek at dstanek.com
Wed Sep 26 14:11:40 EDT 2018

On Wed, Sep 26, 2018 at 12:49 AM Marko Ristin-Kaufmann
<marko.ristin at gmail.com> wrote:

>> An extraordinary claim is like "DbC can improve *every single project*
>> on PyPI". That requires a TON of proof. Obviously we won't quibble if
>> you can only demonstrate that 99.95% of them can be improved, but you
>> have to at least show that the bulk of them can.
>

> I tried to give the "proof" (not a formal one, though) in my previous message.

I have to admit that I haven't kept up with the discussion today, but
I was also hoping to see some proof. I'm genuinely interested in
seeing if this is something that can help me and the teams I work
with. I was very interested in DbC a long time ago, but never found a
way to make it valuable to me.

I'd like to see a project from PyPI converted to use DbC. This would
make it easy to see the real world difference between an
implementation developed using DbC compared to one that is well
documented, tested and maybe even includes type hints. Toy or
cherry-picked examples don't help me get a feel for it.

--
david stanek
web: https://dstanek.com