[Python-ideas] Suggestion: Extend integers to include iNaN

David Mertz mertz at gnosis.cx
Sun Sep 30 11:36:38 EDT 2018

On Sun, Sep 30, 2018 at 11:31 AM Steve Barnes <gadgetsteve at live.co.uk>
wrote:

> No complex can be converted to float without accessing either the real
> or imag component.

Sure. Not in Python 3.7.  But mathematically, it seems really
straightforward to say that Complex numbers that lie on the Real line (i.e.
imaginary part is zero) map in an obvious way to Real numbers.

I haven't done an inventory, but I'd guess most—but not all—other PLs do
the same thing Python does.