[Python-ideas] Built-in parsing library

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Mon Apr 8 03:02:20 EDT 2019

On Mon, 8 Apr 2019 at 02:54, Nam Nguyen <bitsink at gmail.com> wrote:

> Back to my original goal, I've gathered that there is some interest in having a more general parser library in the stdlib. "Some", but not "much". Should I start out with a straw proposal so that we can hash it out further?

I would expect that the only reasonable way of getting a parsing
library in the stdlib would be to propose an established one from PyPI
to be moved into the stdlib - and that would require the active
support of the library author. I can't imagine any way that I'd
support a brand new parsing library getting put in the stdlib - the
area is sufficiently complex, and the external alternatives too
mature, to make having a new, relatively untried library in the stdlib
be a good idea.

Paul