[Python-ideas] Sorted lists

Brice Parent contact at brice.xyz
Wed Apr 10 04:01:32 EDT 2019

It surely would be helpful. I still find it a bit too single-case oriented.

Maybe having an equivalent __sorting_algo__ property with a value of the
current sorting algorithm would be more general?
There could be a SortingAlgo base class, which could be extended into
classes like:
  - SortingAlgoNone(SortingAlgo) or SortingAlgoUnsorted(SortingAlgo)
which would be the default for non-sorted lists (or just the value None)
  - SortingAlgoAscending(SortingAlgo)
  - SortingAlgoAscendingNumbers(SortingAlgoAscending)
  - MyCustomSortingAlgo(SortingAlgo)
  - ...
It would allow to mark a list as sorted with any algorithm, and of
course, any code that would use these lists would be able to read/write
this __sorting_algo__.

And complementary idea, we could have an extra arg to sort() (and other
functions like this one) like `trust_declared_algo=True`, that if set
would only sort the list if its list.__sorting_algo__ is compatible (a
subclass of the sorting algo it uses, or the class itself).

The rest of the behaviours (when the __sorting_algo__ would be set or
reset) would be as described by Steven in the original proposal.

-Brice