[Python-ideas] Sorted lists

Christopher Barker pythonchb at gmail.com
Fri Apr 12 01:31:00 EDT 2019

I are the appeal, but this really seems too special purpose for yet another
dunder. A SortedList might be a good addition to the statistics package,
however.

I note that with regard to sorting, I suggested a __sort_key dunder so that
the sorting routines could know how to efficiently sort arbitrary objects.
It was pretty soundly rejected as adding too much overhead for a special
case.

This is different, but still a special case.

It’s easy to think that everyone uses the language like you do, but
needling pre-sorted lists is really a pretty special case.

And if performance really matters, you should probably be using numpy
anyway.

-CHB

--
Christopher Barker, PhD