[Python-ideas] Idea: Allow multiple levels of tracers

Ram Rachum ram at rachum.com
Thu Apr 25 12:26:04 EDT 2019

Hmm, looks like, for this to work, you'll need the existing tracer to be
cooperative. Right now there are existing tracers, for example coverage's
tracer and Wing IDE's tracer, and I would need to modify them for your idea
to work, right?

If I understand your idea correctly, the first tracer would monkeypatch
`sys.settrace` so whenever someone else adds a tracer, it doesn't really do
`sys.settrace` but just add a function that the real tracer would be
calling after it's done tracing. But this can't really be done without the
original tracer implementing it, right?