[Python-ideas] Clearer communication

Abe Dillon abedillon at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 14:01:06 EST 2019

[Steven D'Aprano]

> This isn't Facebook or Reddit, where +1 Likes cause messages to move to
> the top of your feed. (And thank goodness for that.) This is a technical
> mailing list where the worth of a proposals usually depends on merit,
> not the number of votes.

Since I just (almost simultaneously with this post) suggested giving Reddit
a try, I feel obligated to defend it a little bit.

1) You might be right. It might result in lower quality discussions, but it
seems like a very low barrier to entry to at least try and see.
2) You can control, to some degree, what gets to the top of your feed. In
an email list, it's based on who posted last which seems hardly an
improvement.
3) There are well moderated and/or cultivated subs like
www.reddit.com/r/science where the votes end up being a good approximation
to merit.

[Steven D'Aprano]

> In the future this list may be migrated to Mailman 3 which includes a
> more modern web-forum-like interface as well as email.

http://docs.mailman3.org/en/latest/userguide.html

Can you summarize what mailman3 brings to the table? The docs aren't very
clear and have a lot of preamble.