[Python-ideas] Option of running shell/console commands inside the REPL

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Fri Feb 1 15:12:42 EST 2019

On 2/1/2019 1:50 PM, James Lu wrote:
> It’s difficult to learn anything with a body (such as a loop or a class or a function) with the built in REPL because you can’t edit lines you’ve already written.

I presume you mean that it is 'difficult to learn about compound
statements and multiline simple statements with standard interactive
python because one cannot edit lines already entered. True.

This is one of the great advantages of IDLE and any other IDE in which
one keys in and can edit a complete multiline statement before
submitting it to Python to run

It is also difficult to edit and rerun previously run multiline
statements in the standard REPL when one must retrieve, edit, and enter
previous lines one at a time.  Again, IDLE and anything similar makes
this much easier by retrieving and allowing the editing and resubmission
of complete multiline statements.

However, I don't see what this has to do with running system console
commands in a Python shell.

--
Terry Jan Reedy